The December IHPST newsletter is now available on the web at:
The President’s Column gives details about the process of appointing a new editor of the journal ‘Science & Education’ to replace the current editor whose term expires at the end of 2014.
The contents of latest journal issue, on ‘Commercialisation and Commodification of Science’ guest edited by Gürol Irzik are in the newsletter. This issue also has Varia articles, one of which in particular should be of interest to a wide audience:
Jürgen Renn, ‘Einstein as a Missionary of Science’.
1. President’s Column
2. Science & Education Journal, Volume 22 Number 10 (Commercialisation and Commodification of Science: Educational Responses; plus Varia)
3. Science & Education Journal, Report
(a) Rationale and Purpose of the Journal
(b) Journal on the Web
(c) Manuscript Submissions
(d) Copyediting Assistance Required for Manuscripts from Non-Anglo Authors
(e) Article Downloads
(f) Thematic Issues
(g) Journal Reviewing
4. Journal Thematic Issue, Call for Papers, Philosophy of Science Education: Issues and Possibilities
6. International Conference on Science & Literature, 10-11 July 2014, Athens, Greece
7. European Society of History of Science, 6th International Conference, Lisbon, 4-6 September 2014
8. Conjoint Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Association and History of Science Society, November 6-9, 2014, Chicago, USA
9. Seventh European Summer University on the History and Epistemology in Mathematics Education, Copenhagen, July 14-18, 2014.
10. 39th Symposium of the International Commission on the History of Geological Science (INHIGEO), 6-10 July, 2014.
11. Ninth annual conference of the British Society for Literature and Science, University of Surrey, April 10-12, 2014
12. British Society for the History of Science Annual Conference 3 – 6 July 2014, University of St Andrews
13. Book Reviews
(i) Alex Rosenberg (2011) The Atheist’s Guide to Reality: Enjoying Life without Illusions. W.W. Norton & Company.
[STEFANIE DACH & TOMÁŠ MARVAN]
(ii) John Forge (2013), Designed to Kill: The Case Against Weapons Research, Springer.
[MICHAEL R. MATTHEWS]
(iii) Hugh G. Gauch, Jr. (2012), Scientific Method in Brief, Cambridge University Press,
14. Coming Conferences
15. IHPST Council (2011-13)
16. Newsletter Items
A/Professor Michael R. Matthews
School of Education
University of New South Wales
Phone: 61-2-9418 3665
Editor Science & Education
President, Inter-Divisional Teaching Commission of DHST/DLMPS of IUHPS